Frequent Questions About Getting a Cage Code.

How do I get a Cage Code?

Step 1:
To start New Cage Code Registration." You must first have or obtain a Data Universal Number (DUNS)
Once you have obtained a DUNS Number from D&B, you are eligible for a Cage Code thru the the new (SAM) System for Award Management will start replacing the (CCR) Central Contractors Registration.

If requested over the phone, DUNS is provided immediately.

The process to request a D-U-N-SŪ Number by telephone takes between 5 and 10 minutes.

For U.S., Puerto Rico, and US Virgin Islands Requests only:   1-866-705-5711
Alaska and Puerto Rico: 1-800-234-3867 (Select Option 2, then Option 1) Monday - Friday 7 AM to 8 PM C.S.T.
For Hearing Impaired Customers Only call 1-877-807-1679 (TTY Line)

You will need to provide the following information:
Legal Name
Trade style, Doing Business As (DBA), or other name by which your organization is commonly recognized
Physical Address, City, State and Zip Code
Mailing Address (if separate)
Telephone Number
Contact Name
SIC Code (Line of Business) 2012 SIC/NAICS Codes
Number of Employees at your location
Headquarters name and address (if there is a reporting relationship to a parent corporate entity)
Is this a home-based business?

Webform requests take 1 - 2 business days.

If you already have the necessary information on hand the online registration takes approximately one hour to complete, depending upon the size and complexity of your business or organization.

1. Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) Number provided by Dun and Bradstreet (D&B)

2. Tax Identification Number (TIN) and Taxpayer Name used in Federal tax matters.
*Not required for non-U.S. registrants*

A Tax Identification Number TIN is either an Employer Identification Number (EIN) assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a Social Security Number (SSN) assigned by the Social Security Administration (SSA) if you are registering as a sole proprietor.

If you already have a TIN, your CCR registration will take 3-5 business days to clear the TIN Match process.
A newly assigned EIN cannot be validated in CCR.
According to the IRS, when applying for an EIN over the phone or internet, you will be immediately assigned an EIN, but it may take up to 2-5 weeks before your EIN becomes active.
If you apply for an EIN by fax or mail, confirmation from the IRS can take up to 2-5 weeks.
You must wait until you receive the CP-575 notice from the IRS confirming that your EIN is active and valid for use. For questions regarding your EIN, please call 1-800-829-4933.
If you have questions on a failed match to your EIN, please contact the IRS at 1-866-255-0654 (Option 4).
If you have questions on a failed match to your SSN, please contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213.

3. Statistical Information about your business

You will be required to provide the receipts and number of employees on a world-wide basis, which includes all affiliates. Information on your organization's profile location is optional.
Organizations that sell or generate electricity, refine petroleum, or that are financial institutions will be required to provide additional data.

Location Information (Optional)
Average Number of Employees for this location:
The average number of persons employed at this location for each pay period over the firm's latest 12 months.

Average Annual Receipts for this location:
The average receipts for this location over the last three completed fiscal years.

World-Wide Organization (Required). This information is passed to SBA in order to calculate your business size using SBA's official size standards for your industry.

Average Number of Employees including all affiliates:
The average number of persons employed for each pay period over the firm's latest 12 months, including persons employed by the parent organization, all branches, and all affiliates worldwide.

Average Annual Receipts including all affiliates:
The average receipts over the last three completed fiscal years, including receipts of the parent organization, all branches, and all affiliates worldwide.
Organizations that sell or generate electricity, refine petroleum, or that are financial institutions need to provide the following:
Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Information for payment of invoices
ABA Routing Number for your bank
Account Number and Type, or Lockbox Number
Automated Clearing House (ACH) point of contact
Remittance point of contact
Accounts Receivable point of contact.
Select NAISC CODE (s)

You will also be asked to create a 9 digit MPIN Number.

What is an MPIN? Where can I locate or assign my MPIN?

A Marketing Partner ID Number (MPIN) is a personal code that allows you to access other government applications such as the Past Performance Information Retrieval System (PPIRS) and the Online Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA).
The MPIN acts as your password in these other systems, and you should guard it as such.
The MPIN is a mandatory data element created by you during the CCR registrant process and must have nine characters: at least one letter (upper or lower case) and one number. No spaces or special characters are permitted.

If you are not yet registered in CCR and need an MPIN, please view our CCR User's Guide to learn what is needed and how to register.
To view your company's MPIN:
1. Go to the CCR Homepage:
2. Enter your user ID and password, then click the "Log In" button.
3. Select "View" across from the DUNS number you are looking for.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the Points of Contact to view your MPIN.
If you change your MPIN, be aware that it may take 24-48 hours for other government systems to recognize your new MPIN. If no change is necessary, DO NOT click Validate/Save Data, just click "Quit CCR" at the top left side of the screen.

What North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code or Codes you want to use.
The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is the standard used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy.

What are my yearly renewal requirements? How do I keep my  record active?

If you do not renew your registration, it will expire. You must renew and revalidate your registration at least every 12 months from the date you previously registered.

An expired registration will affect your ability to receive contract awards or payments.

How long until a new CCR registration is considered active?

New registrations can take 3-5 business days to process in SAMs. You can expect a shorter turnaround, 24 hours, when you update or renew an active registration.

Images and content displayed on - which are not the property of wgc  
are courtesy of our friends, family and customers as well as the U.S. Department of Defense.
c 2017
 Privacy policy

Government Contracts


Central Contractor Registration (CCR)

Government Codes used in doing business with the Government

Site Map